Poker Ramblings of cmitch

Contact Info:

cmitchpoker@gmail.com

Cash Game Goals (online)

Play 275,000 cash game hands in 2008 – I didn’t play as many hands I would have liked in 2007. I need to focus on playing more cash games. In October, I played 50k hands, but most other months I averaged between 12k-18k hands a month. I need to shoot for at least 20k-25k hands/month. (Should be relatively easy if I focus.) I'll track number of hands played each month.

Average 5ptbb/100 – I need to look up all my stats from my old computer, but if I remember correctly I averaged only around 3.0-3.25ptbb/100 across all levels. I’m very disappointed and hope to bring that up to 5ptbb/100 or more.

Review hands daily – Either each night after I am done playing or the next day before playing.

Better Table Selection/Maintain a fish list – I usually just register for the open tables with the highest Avg pot and VP$P and sit at the first ones that become available. This should go hand in hand with reviewing my hands – I’ll note any horrible players and search out their tables before just randomly signing up for tables.

Watch at least 3 videos/week – (and really watch them) I don’t always agree with everything in the Cardrunners, StoxPoker, or PokerXFactor videos, but I usually gain some insight by watching them. Sometimes, it is just repetition to get my mind back or track. Other times, it is awesome to see different thought processes from players that play similar styles to mine or, even better, the styles of the players that I am playing against. That is why I love it so much when one of the sites adds a pro or has a guest pro video. I can’t wait to watch a new person’s thought process. Right now, I have probably 15 videos downloaded to my computer from the different sites that I haven’t watched – definitely need to watch more.

MTT Goals (online)

Break my largest online cash ($29k) – Maybe this one should fall into the lofty goals category because I probably won’t be playing that many tourneys.

Play at least 6 mtts/week – I need an occasional break from the cash games. MTTs are great for variety and the variety should help keep things from getting stale while improving my MTT game.

Satellite into some of the WSOP Prelim Events – I spent too much time/bankroll on trying to qualify for the WSOP Main Event last year. I may just play some of the prelim events, either by pulling the cash out of my bankroll and directly buying in or trying to satellite in through the FTP Bracelet race tourneys. (More on this in the Live Poker Goals below.)

Satellite into the WSOP Main Event – As I said above, last year I spent way too much time/bankroll trying to qualify for the WSOP ME. I want to play it, but debated whether or not to make it a goal. I will definitely try to qualify for the WSOP ME, but will put less effort into it this year. I’m going to take a “If it happens, it happens” attitude and probably head to the WSOP for some prelim events.

Live Poker Goals

Play 3-5 Medium to Large ($1,500+) Live Tourneys (Prelim/Main Events) – As I mentioned above, I may shoot for playing some smaller buy-in live tourneys instead of just the WSOP Main Event. I’m considering heading to Foxwoods for the Foxwoods Poker Classic for some of the mid-size events at the end of March/beginning of April. I’ll also probably plan a trip to the Las Vegas during the early WSOP events and maybe head back for the Main Event if I win my way in or do well in the early events.

Cash in a WSOP Event

Cash in a Foxwoods Poker Classic Event (if I go)

Final Table Medium-Large Buy-in Tourney

Win a Medium-Large Buy-in Tourney


I'm going to review my online (cash and mtts) goals monthly and will review my live goals as they happen.

Happy New Year to everyone and Good Luck in 2008.

5 responses to "Poker Goals - 2008"

  1. I like the idea of seeking out particular players you've done well against. I've just recently started using PokerTracker to see if there are any people out there I can sit by.

    Mike Maloney

  2. Good luck sir. Errr, I mean fishcakes ...

    Fuel55

  3. I'm actually shocked with your PTBB/100. No disrespect here. I really am surprised. Have you looked at that by levels? Maybe you are doing real well in one level but not the other? Just curious.

    Alan aka RecessRampage

  4. Alan - I'm pretty sure that my ptbb/100 looks a little off because of 5/10. I need to check my old computer, but after a really horrible run at 5/10, my 2007 5/10 ptbb/100 was hovering around 2 after consistently being between 5 and 6 over a large sample.

    Also, I noticed a drop off when I switched to playing 6 tables. I think I sacrificed ptbb/100 for a higher hourly rate though. (I need to look at that more.)

    cmitch

  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    Anonymous