Poker Ramblings of cmitch

Contact Info:

cmitchpoker@gmail.com

I had a very interesting hand come up a couple of weeks ago at a short handed 5/10 NL cash game and have been meaning to post it here. I posted it on Cardrunners and got several different opinions from a lot of top players on how to play the hand.

I am on the button and have been playing pretty aggressively. I had recently played quite a bit against a very aggressive player (in the SB).

(6 max) - $5/$10 - No Limit Hold'em
Seat 1: Seat 1($877)
Seat 2: cmitch ($998)
Seat 3: Villian - SB ($990)
Seat 4: BB ($2,637)
Seat 5: Seat 5 ($1,835.30)
Villian posts the small blind of $5
BB posts the big blind of $10
The button is in seat #2
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to cmitch [5s 6s]
Seat 5 folds
Seat 1 folds
cmitch raises to $35
Villian (SB) calls $30
BB folds
*** FLOP ***
[7s Qs 8h]
Villian checks
cmitch bets $45
Villian raises to $110

I flopped an Open Ended Straight Draw and a Flush Draw. I have position on Villian. I am a favorite against almost any hand but I do not have a made hand.

What is your move now and why?
A. Flat call the additional $65 raise and see what the turn brings.
B. Re-raise minimum - another $65
C. Re-raise pot - $235
D. Re-raise around $400
E. Re-raise all-in
F. Fold

I'll post what I did and my thoughts along with the results tomorrow.

------------

I was getting a little bored of the cash tables and played a $200 H.O.R.S.E SNG on Full Tilt Poker last night. It was a pretty interesting table with Huck Seed, BodogAri, and PhatCat. I managed to eek my way into 2nd place for $480 and phatcat took it down after he said that he had never played HORSE before.

Nice job, phatcat!!

cmitch

5 responses to "Tough Decision - What to do?"

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    Anonymous

  2. Oops - I was testing out my comments since I had some problems in the past and removed my original test comment. (I am not censoring comments, but will delete spam.)

    cmitch

  3. In my opinion, this is the type of hand that can influence the way you play made hands in the future. If you overbet the pot to around $400, it may influence other people in later hands into thinking you are on a draw with that big bet while you are actually playing a made monster. This type of hand is basically a coinflip over the hands that you will encounter in this situation, so I would prefer to end this right now instead of flipping some coins. I'm going to go with option D (re-raise around $400)

    Wes

  4. D

    Out of position against an aggressive opponent.

    I'd rather get the money in now while I'm likely ahead than wait for the turn where I'll be a dog if I miss. Chances are I'll miss on the turn (I'm a favorite with 2 cards - not one).

    Out of position, I'd rather increase the pot quite a bit here rather than a $235 bet.

    Of course by playing this hand strong, you're hoping against an over-flush draw, but if he does have one, a push works better in that it might get a fold giving him less than 2:1 odds. Another reason to lean towards a bigger bet and commit yourself.

    My desire to get the money in on the flop would outweigh my desire to insure action so the bigger bet makes more sense.

    doubleas

  5. I was going to say C. Re-raise pot - $235 on the flop, but then I realized you're in position (not a good thing this hand), so if you re-raise $235 on the flop and get called (and it's very likely you'll get called), a blocking bet on the turn by villain could force you to just call, leaving you hoping to hit.

    So, because you're in position this hand and he's first to act on the turn, I'd say to apply the pressure point on the flop and thus I would D. Re-raise around $400.

    E. Re-raise all-in isn't a bad play, but I think it's too obvious.

    Anonymous