Poker Ramblings of cmitch

Contact Info:

cmitchpoker@gmail.com


I don't get to play live as often as I would like, so getting to play the Wednesday Night game at UPC was a nice change of pace from the online poker world. We played a $150 tourney with 17 players. The top 3 got paid.

I made up for my poor showing at UPC a couple of weeks ago by taking the tourney down last night. When it got down to heads up I offered an even chop with Dan. The blinds were 5k/10k and we were about 10 minutes away from blinds of 10k/20k. I had 110k to his 160k. He thought that he had the advantage because he had more chips, but with the blinds it was either of ours to win. First paid $1k+ and second paid $600+. We each took $750 and played it out for the remaining $130. I managed to trap Dan when we were heads up when I flopped middle pair and turned Aces up and then a couple of hands later I pushed all in with the nut flush and he finally called me with 2nd pair because he thought I was full of it. So I netted a $700 profit after the win and tipping out. Woohoo!! Back in the positive for live play.

Interesting hand of the night:

When we were still playing two tables with 6 at each table, I get dealt AA UTG and make a standard 3xBB raise. A short stacked Damian goes all-in for not many more chips with 66. My AA hold up.

The very next hand, I get dealt KK in the BB. Blinds 300/600. RJ, in the SB, raises to 1800. RJ was playing a lot of hands and had gotten a big stack by pushing all his chips in with a flush draw and catching. I figured that I could play him pretty straight forward and still wind up with getting a lot of his chips. I raise to 4,000. He re-raises me to 8,000. I immediately (probably too fast) went all-in for another 25k+ chips. RJ thought and debated with himself for like 10 minutes. I really thought he had AK or AQ at first. He then started saying that he knew I had two big cards and finally called with.......... 55. WTF?! This hand vaulted me up to being chip leader and is probably the reason that I won. Sometimes, you have to wonder what goes through someone's mind in that situation. He said something along the lines of, "I didn't think that there was any possible way for you to have a big pair. You just had Aces last hand. I thought for sure you just had a couple of big cards."

Anyway, it was fun to play live again.

cmitch

4 responses to "Wednesday Night at UPC"

  1. Maybe in a $10 home game you make that decision where it is more likely your buddy is just bullying you to be a doink, but in a tourney with a nice chunk of change on the line, that is a rough play.

    Congrats on the win.

    drewspop

  2. The other interesting thing about the KK vs. 55 hand is that if I am him, even if I put you on or know you have overcards, do I really wanna flip a coin here ? Why not fold here and use all those chips in a better spot.

    Anonymous

  3. Nice Going!!!!

    WillWonka

  4. Mookie - I think just about anyone folds the 55 there. I think this hand shows that home games are an entirely different world than online poker.

    The higher the buy-in at a home game doesn't necessarily mean the players are better. Some of them are, but others are just there for the night out and have no concept of thought processes involved in every hand. To some of them a pair is pretty darn good.

    Some of the players are very good but otheres are just there for fun.

    cmitch