Poker Ramblings of cmitch

Contact Info:

cmitchpoker@gmail.com

I think that my last post about when/how often to cont. bet was probably a product of bubbling a few SNGs, especially one where I had a pretty big chip lead with 5 players left.

I wanted to get some advice for a few hands in a particular SNG. I haven't run any ICM or pokerstove calcs yet on these hands. This is different from a lot of SNG/MTT situations because we are 3 handed and the top 2 win a ticket to the next level.

Background

  • Pokerstars WSOP Step 4 SNG ($215)
  • Awards 2 seats to Step 5 ($700)/3rd place is a replay of Step 4 ($215)
  • I played pretty tight straight forward poker for the first few levels, but had been raising a ton once we were down to 4-5 people. Based on my play, the other two guys have to figure that I am raising with about top 50% on the button.
  • They were both usually either re-raising or folding preflop. Seat 1 was open shoving a ton. Seat 7 was a good player that was playing pretty solid poker.

Hand 1

PokerStars Game #Tournament #, $200+$15 Hold'em No Limit - Level VI (100/200)
Seat #6 is the button
Seat 1: (5035 in chips)
Seat 6: Me (4897 in chips)
Seat 7: (3568 in chips)
Seat 7: posts small blind 100
Seat 1: posts big blind 200
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to sportingimag [Jc Kh]
sportingimag: raises 400 to 600
Seat 7: calls 500 - When he flat called button raises from SB he had folded about 2/3rds of the time to c-bets.
Seat 1: calls 400 - unusual for him to flat call in this spot. He had shoved in spots like this earlier.
*** FLOP *** [7d 8h 2s] - Pot = 1,800
Both players check
My action???? How much??? Why???
IMO, it is and obvious c-bet if only one caller pf.

Hand 2

PokerStars Game #Tournament #, $200+$15 Hold'em No Limit - Level VI (100/200)
Seat #6 is the button
Seat 1: (6135 in chips)
Seat 6: Me (3997 in chips)
Seat 7: (3368 in chips)
Seat 7: posts small blind 100
Seat 1: posts big blind 200
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to sportingimag [Kd Jd]
sportingimag: raises 400 to 600
Seat 7: calls 500
Seat 1: folds
*** FLOP *** [As 2h 9s] - Pot = 1,300
Seat 7: checks (remaining stack is 2,768)
My stack is 3,397
My action???? How much??? Why???

I don't think that I let the bubble effect my play, but I may have. If I had a tight image then I think both of these situations would have been automatic c-bets. Given that I had a pretty loose image from the button, what would be your play in both situations?

3 responses to "Continuation Bets Follow-Up - SNGs"

  1. Hand 1: I am checking behind and trying to hit a turn. If I don't hit, I don't put a penny more into this pot. I am protecting my stack in this 3 handed pot.

    Hand 2: I would cb here about 800. I will rep the Ace since I raised pre. Plus there is no turn card that makes me feel good about my hand either. I fire a smallish CB and I give up if I get any action.

    lucko

  2. I would check the first one and c-bet 2/3 of the pot in the second one representing the ace.

    AnguilA

  3. I agree with Lucko and AnguilA. Hand 1 is not worth a skirmish unless you hit a card. Hand 2 is a definate c-bet. I'm more for the 800 bet than the 2/3 bet though, but it's a matter of feel for the table.

    KJ is tricky business, and here's why (I love Tony G).


    /j.

    joxum