Poker Ramblings of cmitch

Contact Info:

cmitchpoker@gmail.com

I'm torn on what to do about the WSOP. At the beginning of the year, I posted the following as one of my goals:

Play 3-5 Medium to Large ($1,500+) Live Tourneys (Prelim/Main Events) – As I mentioned above, I may shoot for playing some smaller buy-in live tourneys instead of just the WSOP Main Event. I’m considering heading to Foxwoods for the Foxwoods Poker Classic for some of the mid-size events at the end of March/beginning of April. I’ll also probably plan a trip to the Las Vegas during the early WSOP events and maybe head back for the Main Event if I win my way in or do well in the early events.

I was unable to go to Foxwoods for the FPC because work is pretty crazy right now.

I'm debating between two options.

1. Head out to LV from 6/10-6/15 and play 1-2 prelim events and a lot of cash games.

Events taking place during this time frame:
6/11/2008 21 No-Limit Hold'em (3 day event) $5,000
6/11/2008 22 H.O.R.S.E. (3 day event) $3,000
6/12/2008 23 No-Limit Hold'em (3 day event) $2,000
6/12/2008 24 Pot-Limit Holdem/Omaha (3 day event) $2,500
6/13/2008 25 World Championship Heads Up No-Limit Hold'em $10,000
6/13/2008 26 Seven Card Razz (3 day event) $1,500
6/14/2008 27 No-Limit Hold'em (3 day event) $1,500
6/14/2008 28 Pot-Limit Omaha W/Rebuys (3 day event) $5,000
6/15/2008 29 No-Limit Hold'em (3 day event) $3,000
6/15/2008 30 World Championship Limit Hold'em (3 day event) $10,000

Would probably play some combination of Events 21, 23, & 27.

Pros
  • I have a good excuse to head out during that time - My birthday and Father's Day. It could count as my wife's gift to me for both . :)
  • I could play more than 1 WSOP event.
  • I could stay at the Rio for very cheap thanks to a Harrah's Total Rewards flyer that I recently received in the mail.
  • The $5k event has a pretty decent structure with 10k starting chips and 60 minute levels.
  • There may be a blogger gathering during the same time. I've never made it to one of these. It would be awesome to meet a lot of other bloggers and put some faces to screen names.
Cons
  • Probably wouldn't be able to go back and play in the Main Event even if I won a seat. (Not sure I could swing taking a week off and then another week 2 weeks later.)
  • The structure for the smaller buy-in events isn't that great - $4k & $3k starting chips in the $2k and $1,500 events

2. Plan a trip during the Main Event and hope to win a seat before heading there.

Pros
  • Get to play in the Main Event of the WSOP!!!
  • Get to play in the Main Event of the WSOP!!!
  • I had a blast when I played a couple of years ago (other than when Phil Ivey sat at my table)
  • The field in the ME is weaker than any other large buy-in event. Some of the players are so horrible, you wonder how they are playing in a $10k Event.
  • Potential for a lot larger win even if you just barely cash (lowest tier cash at the ME is probably equivalent to like 9-20th in a $1,500 event; 18th-27th in the $5k event)
  • It is like 1,000 times more exciting to the play in the WSOP ME than any other tourney.
  • If I win on a site like Pokerstars then I can get a free hotel on top of the WSOP package.
Cons
  • All egss in 1 basket
  • I may not qualify and be left standing on the sidelines watching like last year.
  • May spend too much time, energy and bankroll trying to qualify and come up short.
  • A long time to take off work.
  • A lot of cash to put up for 1 tourney even if I win my way in.

Right now I am leaning more towards Option 1. I'll probably give myself another month to try and qualify for the WSOP ME. If I don't, I'll probably book the earlier trip.

Pokerstars WSOP Steps Follow Up

My original $100 investment in the steps is now down to one Step 5 Ticket and one Step 2 Ticket. I had been waiting around to find a weak Step 5 and stumbled across one last night. I wound up finishing a disappointing 3rd (replay Step 5). I'll probably play it one night this week. I have been amazed how many more beats you see in sngs vs. cash games due to the nature of the beast.


3 responses to "WSOP - What to do?"

  1. Sounds like two awesome options! I don't think you can make a bad decision.

    Good luck in the steps, keep kicking ass!

    lucko

  2. the blogger get together is June 6-10th.

    http://pokerstage.blogspot.com/2008/03/so-ive-been-known-to-lie.html

    i really like the 5k event for the same reasons. should be a smaller field too.

    smokkee

  3. avoid the $1500 events, just goofy and you'll end up pissed off when king jack sucks out on you. I played the 2K last year, smaller field, better quality, so I think that and the 5K would be very worth while. Also, talk with don/chad, there are a number of smaller deep stack touraments at the venitican that could be worthwhile too.

    fuck the main event, bad players with good jobs equals retarded play.

    Eric a.k.a. Bone Daddy