Poker Ramblings of cmitch

Contact Info:

cmitchpoker@gmail.com

FTOPS/Tourneys

First of all - I hate the FTOPS. I played the Main Event and never really got much going and wound up going out with a flush versus a full house. I played a few other tourneys without cashing - I forgot how frustrating they can be.

I think that I am only going to play cash games for the rest of the month. No tourneys other than a blogger tourneys and maybe a few smaller buy-in tourneys for a break from the cash grind.

-----------------
Multi-Tabling

I have been playing anywhere from 1 cash game table to 6 cash game tables at a time. I think that the optimal number of tables for me is four as long as I am focusing 100%. I can play 6 tables but wind up missing some reads and playing too tight, especially if I'm not 100% into playing. I think that I'm going to limit myself to 1 or 2 tables if I'm doing something else (watching TV, talking to my wife, surfing the internet, etc, etc, etc) and 4 tables max if I am playing without any distractions. No more 6 tabling until at least the end of the month.

-----------------
Blog Links

The bloglines links on the right are pretty out of date. I am going to go through them and delete the dead blogs and add some long over due links.

Let me know if you want me to add your link. I know that there are a lot that I am missing.

-----------------
Old Elevators are Scary



This isn't poker related but I have been meaning to post it for a while now.

A few weeks ago, I was on an inspection of an 18 story beach condo for a legal case. A ton of people were on the walk through - lawyers for both sides, architects, engineers, a rep from the insurance company, etc, etc. I think that there were 13 people including the property manager.

We had been taking the elevators in shifts - usually 7-8 max people on each trip. About halfway through the day, we were heading from the 8th floor to the 12th floor. Three guys took the stairs while we were waiting for some people to come out of one of the condo units. I almost followed them but I was waiting for one of the guys to come out of the unit. Just then the elevator opened. Nine of us piled on. One person was still standing outside the elevator and the property manager said, "We can fit one more.", so she squeezed on.

The property manager pressed the button for floor 12. The elevator started to go up, stopped, dropped a couple of inches and then stopped again. I thought, "Great, we are stuck in the elevator. I wonder how long before we get out of this thing?" A few minutes later my thoughts changed to "Get me off of this freaking elevator!!!!" The elevator tried to go up again, but instead it dropped about 6" and then the brakes caught. About 30 seconds later it did the same thing again. Then again about 20 seconds laters. Then again about 15 seconds later. The 6" drop repeated about every 15 seconds for a few minutes!!

The insurance rep (half) jokingly said, "I hope everyone's life insurance is paid up."

The property manager who had been there since the building opened called the maintenance guy on her phone and said, "Yeah, I've never seen the elevators do anything like this before." That is when I started to get really nervous. Did I mention that she had been there since the building opened. I pressed the 8th, 9th and 10th floor buttons in hopes that the elevator may open on one of those floors. She said, "I wouldn't press those buttons if I were you." LOL - wtf. Should I just wait until we drop all the way to the basement? :)

Shortly after this exchange, she found the key and was able to stop the elevator. A few minutes later the maintenance guys were able to open the elevator and we climbed up a few feet to safer ground. Weeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We dropped probably between 1 and 1 1/2 floors while we were on the elevator - pretty scary stuff. One of the guys said it was probably one of the three scariest moments of his life.

I decided to take the stairs for the rest of the day and took the stairs the entire day on the next project that we walked.. I need the exercise anyway.

7 responses to "Me No Likey Elevators & Random Stuff"

  1. I'd like a link, but I think links should be earned, not asked for, so if you think it's worthy, then.


    http://pokingandpeaking.blogspot.com

    Unknown

  2. I echo the above comment.

    Shrike

  3. If you're feeling generous, I'd appreciate a link too.

    Klopzi

  4. Please add a link to my BLOG. I will do the same for you. Thanks so much. Tony

    AVIGANOLA

  5. You haven't lived until you've been in the shell of an elevator 50 stories up with nothing but a piece of plywood as the flooring.

    My dad builds elevators so I've been several that weren't working properly and had a few "slip" while testing.

    Unknown

  6. Not that i know either way but the feeling i've been getting is your cash game has had alot more variance in it over the past couple months then i've noticed previously.

    Have you just been playing without reviewing hands and stats etc?

    Or have you been putting in the time to keep your A game up?

    What has been your main game? 1/2NL 6max? or have you been jumping around levels alot as well as table sizes (HU, 6max, 9 or 10 handed etc).

    Just curious.

    thaREALdmoney

  7. Hi

    I would be grateful if you could add a link to http://www.ipokercal.com
    ipokercal is a new community website providing a calendar with poker events, offline, online and on TV.

    thanks a lot in advance
    Susana

    Anonymous