Poker Ramblings of cmitch

Contact Info:

cmitchpoker@gmail.com


...beyond that which in known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and timeless as infinity. It is in the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and supersition, and it lies between the pit of man's fear and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination (and frustration). The signpost up ahead - your next stop the Party Poker WSOP Step Zone!!

I am trapped and can't get out. I now remember why I stopped playing the Party Poker Step SNGs even though I had great results. I feel like a rat trapped in a maze - every time I make a few turns I wind up back where I started. There is no way out without just climbing over the wall at the side of the maze.

I decided to try my luck by playing two of the WSOP Regular Step tourneys on Party Poker. They are SNGs that advance the top spots to the next step (sng), some players replay the same step and others move back a step. The winner of the final step (step 5) wins a WSOP package. Click this link for more details.

I have invested $430 in the Steps by playing two WSOP Step 3 SNGs. I played both $215 Step 3s at the same time. I haven't been able to break into Step 4 yet. See my results below and you will understand why I feel like I'm in the Twilight Zone.

WSOP Steps
1st Attempt
1st Game - WSOP Step 3 - finished 3rd; Repeat Step 3.
2nd Game - WSOP Step 3 - finished 4th; Repeat Step 3.
3rd Game - WSOP Step 3 - finished 3rd; Repeat Step 3.
4th Game - WSOP Step 3 - finished 3rd; Repeat Step 3.
5th Game - WSOP Step 3 - finished 4th; Repeat Step 3.
6th Game - WSOP Step 3 - Pending

2nd Attempt
1st Game - WSOP Step 3 - finished 6th; Move Back to Step 2.
2nd Game - WSOP Step 2 - Pending

I'll spare the bad beat stories and the coinflip losses. At this rate, I may make it out of Step 3 sometime around the start of the World Series in 2010!! I don't think my play has been poor at the end of these Step SNGs - I really have just gotten unlucky.

I think I will start to play one of these every other day until my brain is completely numb. (Playing one everyday would probably put me in the loony bin.)

Anyone else have any experience with these? How do you deal with the monotony (sp?)? Anyone reading this actually win one of these yet - maybe give me some hope?

cmitch

6 responses to "There is a fifth dimension..."

  1. Keep us posted on this--I've always avoided these like the plague, more out of ignorance and confusion than anything. You're either confirming my opinion or intriguing, me.

    CC

  2. I am not smart enough to understand these multilevel prize games. Do you have to post a new buy-in when you go back to step 3?

    BrainMc

  3. I've always been a Rod Serling fan... the guy had the best voice-over's at the beginning of each TWILIGHT ZONE episode that always got me hyped as a kid.

    That being said...
    You've officially convinced me NOT TO TRY the Party WSOP steps. Not sure what I'd do if I made it all the way to step 5 and finished on the wrong side of the bubble. Ugh.

    Loopy

    Loopy

  4. Brain, I'll try to explain how the steps work as simply as I can.

    Starting from Step 1 (you can directly buy-in at any level)

    You pay $10 ($9+$1) to enter Step 1. The winner gets a "freeroll" (no additional money) to Step 2. Places 2-4 get a "freeroll" to play Step 1 again.

    Step 2 $55 ($50+$5 or "freeroll" from winning Step 1) - 1-2 get "freeroll" to Step 3. 3-9 Loop back to Step 1 for a "freeroll" at Step 1.

    Step 3 $215 ($200+$15 or "freeroll" from winning Step 2) - 1-2 advance to Step 4; 3-4 play Step 3 again. 5-9 Loop Back to Step 2.

    Step 4 $640 ($600+$40 or "freeroll" from Step 3) - 1-2 advance to Step 5; 3-5 replay Step 4; 6-8 Loop back to Step 3. 9 Loops back to Step 2. 10 - $50

    Step 5 $1665 ($1560+$105 or "freeroll" from Step 4) - 1st WINS WSOP PACKAGE. 2-3 replay Step 5. 4th loops back to Step 4. 5-6 Loop back to Step 3. 7-9 Loop back to Step 2. 10 - $35 cash.

    As you can see it is an endless circle that you can be trapped in forever.

    cmitch

  5. I'm sure someone can trump this but I managed to play 37 Step 1 SnGs off of one buy-in without advancing.

    I suck at SnGs.

    Unknown

  6. Thanks for the lesson. Now I am interested enough to try it. Maybe to my peril.

    BrainMc