Poker Ramblings of cmitch

Contact Info:

cmitchpoker@gmail.com

After being up and down this week, I headed into tonight up about 1/2 a buy-in for the week following a horrible week last week.

Things didn't go well last night.

*****EDIT*****: To answer one of the comments - Yes, I know I played a couple of these hands about as horribly as possible (very weak tight). This is not how I normally play. That is why I posted them - to show how poorly I was playing/tilting. I was playing not to lose instead of to win and was making bad calls. I try not to sugar coat things on the blog. I'm in a much better frame of mind today and know that I will be back on track in no time. ***********

Hand 1 - Early on in the session, I got all in as a 68% favorite with 1 card to come and lost.

Hand 2 - I'm sure that I was tilting after Hand 1 and played this hand horribly on all streets. The guy was 33/25 but his river aggression was pretty low, so it should have been an easy fold.

Hand 3 - I'm thinking the frustration got the better of me again. I got all in on the flop with two overs and a flush draw - only to be really far behind on the flop and dead on the turn.

Hand 4 - I don't think that there was any to get away from this against a shorty. Anyone fold this?

Hand 5
- DQB - The only bright spot of the night.

Overall, I wound up losing four buy-ins on the night. That puts my 2/4nl November total to down 13 buy-ins after being up 33 buy-ins last month for a net Oct-Nov of up 20 buy-ins.

October = Great. +13.5k cash games + 1.8k in rakeback = $15.3k

November to date = Horrible. -5.2k + $600 in rakeback = -$4.6k

October + November = OK +$10.7k

Oh, the joys of cash games!!!

I have looked over most of the November hands and other than the coolers and bad beats, I probably spewed close to 2-3 buy-ins from bad calls and bad timing on bluffs. I don't think that I have been playing anywhere close to my "A" game this week - clearly effected by the 1st week of November.

I have re-read my old "Slump Busting" post and it still all applies. I am going to re-read it each of the next few nights before I start playing. I'll probably stick with 4 tables more often than 6 tables.

My new plan

1. Move down to 1/2NL
2. Regain my confidence.
3. Play my "A" game each session. If I feel like I am playing bad, I'm going to take a break or stop for the night.
4. Play a minimum of 25k hands at 1/2NL before hitting 2/4NL again.
5. Try to mix a few new things into my game.
6. Shoot for a PTBB/100 of 5.0 for the duration of the 25k hands.
7. Re-watch the cardrunner cash game videos that I thought were most helpful and saved.
8. Not play cash games while watching TV and sitting in the recliner.
9. Not play cash games while watching TV and sitting in the recliner.

This shouldn't be taken as a rant or sympathy post. It is more of a self realization. I'm not happy with how I am playing this week after running ridiculously horribly last week. I know that I am a lot better than I have been playing this week and plan to prove it to myself.

3 responses to "Can We Go Back to October"

  1. Hand 1, I feel you played pretty well, I initially thought raise a bit more on turn but you want 56 to draw, unfortuantely had had 56cc. Such is life.

    Hand 2)That board is pretty draw heavy, why not raise flop. I think thats a good spot to a) get it all in vs an over pair, and b) not let him draw for free. Turn is ok, river is not an instafold because donks will do this with missed FDs, although he could easily have the missed FD but still made straight, I fold river.

    Hand 3) I think this hand is fairly standard. At least for my style. I'm pretty aggro with combo draws like that. He happens to have the nutz but don't be so results oriented in this situation. If he has AJ he probably mucks to your shove so don't feel to bad about this one time.

    Hand 4)I think you played this turn very poorly imo. Why are you trying to make him fold his hand? (Sure looks like the ole frustration move ot me). He is always calling with a 7 but you also want him to call with an 8 or 6. Shoving turn allows him to fold all the hands you beat. I know he's short but your turn bet is 165$ into a 76$ pot. Seems insane :)

    Hand 5)You're a huge fish in this game. You play quads well though :) haha :P You obviously should have check folded flop knowing he had a set.


    Try dropping down to 1/2NL or even .5/1NL and turning up your aggression a ton and see how that works for you. You seem to be a semi passive player. (Obviously these few hands really don't show me how you play but I still like to give my 0.02cents (USD) $12.54 canadian ;)

    thaREALdmoney

  2. As weird as this sounds, try leaning forward while playing, i always find it helps me to play better and concetrate more.

    Definitely no recliner.

    thaREALdmoney

  3. don't know if you have a stop/loss "policy". i stop playing if i drop 3 buy-ins.

    sounds like you have a good game plan to get back on track.

    smokkee