Poker Ramblings of cmitch

Contact Info:

cmitchpoker@gmail.com

It has been pretty crazy around my house this week. Our four year old daughter has viral pneumonia and our four month old son has RSV (respiratory syncytial virus). Neither is serious enough for the hospital, thankfully. Our daughter is basically grumpy and taking antibiotics and breathing treatments - almost better now. We are giving our son breathing treatments and they help, but he has been pretty miserable. It is hard for an infant to breathe well when they get a lot of mucus. It is like night and day with him before and after the breathing treatments. The doctors say that RSV takes about 4-5 days in infants, so he should be better soon.

As you can imagine, no one at our house has gotten much sleep. I have been doing everything that I can to fight off getting sick. (vitamins, airborne, OJ, etc.)

Last night, I was very tired and starting to feel very sick, but after our son fell asleep I decided to turn on the laptop and play some poker. This was definitely a bad idea. I don't know what I was thinking trying to play when I was feeling so tired and sick. I should only be playing when I can reason and think clearly.

First, I opened up a couple of 1/2 NL 6 max tables. (If I was going to play at all, I probably should have focused on 1 table.) I made some big mistakes. There was a hyper-aggressive guy that was raising my bets and betting big. I know that I should have waited for a big hand and made him pay, but I started playing back at him. This cost me about $150 on 1 hand where I had top two pair and he had a set that turned into quads on the river. I think that I normally would have gotten away from that hand a lot cheaper. I made a few other bad calls and bets and wound up down on the two tables. Some of my losses were due to bad luck, but a lot of it was definitely due to me not thinking through entire hands clearly.

I closed down the NL games and opened a $55+$5 turbo SNG and lost on the 1st hand that I played. The blinds were 15/30 and an aggressive guy on the button went all-in. I was in the BB with QQ. If this wasn't a turbo, I might have folded. I thought for a few and figured he was on a Big Ace or middle pair based on the way the guy had been playing. I called. He had 66 and with a 6 on the flop - GG me.

I was frustrated and almost opened up another table, but thougth better of it. I guess I was thinking clearly enough to realize that if I played more I would probably not be playing my best. Tired, sick and frustrated don't add up to good poker. I took some Nyquil, watched a friend play a SNG and then went to bed.

I am going to have to come read the next sentence next time I am feeling like playing poker when I'm very tired or sick. DON'T PLAY POKER WHEN YOU ARE NOT AT YOUR BEST MENTALLY AND PHYSICALLY!!

cmitch

3 responses to "Thoughts on playing poker while sick or tired"

  1. I agree completely about playing while not feeling good. I played that way last week and discussed it on my blog. It's almost like I'm too tired to fold, if that makes any sense.

    By the way, your all-in call in the SNG was probably the right play. You just got unlucky with your opponent making his set.

    Chris

    C.L. Russo

  2. Decisions... not results.. right.. I'll take QQ over 66 everday plus Sunday... just a bad break.

    However, I know of what you speak.. I've played to the early AM trying to get back what I had lost that session and inevitably, I get close; but the body starts shutting down and lose it back.

    WillWonka

  3. Sorry to hear about the sick kids. My eldest (2 yrs) has a slight case of pneumonia and my youngest (6 mos) has a bad cough that is producing mass quantities of mucus. I know the feeling about playing sick. You really want to, but your brain just doesn't function right on Nyquil. Good luck at the tables when you're feeling better.

    Jimmy