Poker Ramblings of cmitch

Contact Info:

cmitchpoker@gmail.com

How long should someone wait before calling the clock?

I was playing 2/5 NL in LV a few weeks ago and had about $1,000 sitting in front of me. There was a guy with about $2,200 two to my right. He had been playing a ton of pots and raising a lot. He also mentioned that his plane was leaving LV in less than 2.5 hours. (playing very impatient)

I get dealt KK in early position and make a big raise. Late position calls and he calls (I think without looking at his cards). Flop comes 227 rainbow. I bet 3/4 pot, late position folds, and Airplane calls. I wasn't too worried about the call because he had been flat calling just about every bet from anyone preflop and on the flop.

Turn was a 5 and it put 2 hearts on the board. I bet around 1/2 the pot and Airplane went all in. I had only invested about $150 in the pot and had $850 behind. I couldn't understand why he would overbet so much, so I tried to talk it out of him. He was playing kindergarten level games trying to get me to call with stuff like "You know your not gonna call, go ahead and start shipping me the chips dealer." The more he talked to more I knew he had a 2 or full house. He had always stared down and said nothing when he was bluffing.

I was about to muck the Kings when someone not in the hand called the clock on me. WTF? When the floor came over, I informed the guy that called the clock that I was about to fold but would be waiting until MY TIME was up.

After the end of the hand, I politely asked the guy Why the Hell he was calling the clock on me when he wasn't even in the hand. He and another guy chimed in that I had already spent 2 minutes thinking about my decision and that there is no way a decision could take that long. I couldn't do anything but laugh it off at that point - 2 minutes!!

So, how long is too long in a cash game when making a 2x buyin decision? Certainly 2 minutes is not a lifetime.

2 responses to "Calling the Clock"

  1. i've never EVER called the clock on someone in a cash game. for someone to do that who's not even in the hand is a jackass.

    there's real money on the line in a cash game. IMHO, a player should take a reasonable amount of time to decide wut they wanna do. if that's 5 min, ok with me. i would like the extra time if it wuz for all my chips in a cash game.

    smokkee

  2. That's a decent sized decision and worthy of a few minutes to think it thru.

    You should have asked the rude player what site he plays at :D

    Unknown