Poker Ramblings of cmitch

Contact Info:

cmitchpoker@gmail.com

(warning - really long post to make up for the lack of recent posts)

Wow!! To say it has been a hectic month is an understatement. My work doesn't require me to travel very often. I may have to travel outside of Florida 2 or 3 times a year for work. That seems to have changed lately and all the travel came in a one big wave. The work travel combined with my trip to the WSOP in the middle of the month means that I was away from home more than I was home during June. I am getting settled back in, so I should be able to get back to updating the blog more often.

My June consisted of:

May 30th (Saturday) - Get a phone call from client asking me to go to California on Tues for 4 days
June 3-6 (Tues-Fri) - Working in California
June 9-15 (Mon-Sun) - WSOP trip
June 16 (Mon) - Get an email from client asking me to go to Hawaii for a week
June 22-27 (Sun-Fri) - Working in a Hawaii; did get to surf and meet gnome so not all bad.

WSOP Hands

I wanted to post some interesting hands that came up during the trip - a few cash hands and a few tourney hands

Cash Hand 1
5/10NL at the Rio - Awesome Table; One really horrible player (Seat 2) would couldn't fold preflop; One medicore player (Seat 8) that was playing horribly because he kept trying to bluff the horrible guy that couldn't fold.

Me - Seat 6

I was barely above even at the table when a young guy sat down to my right. He bought in a little short, and seemed to be playing tight when the following hand came up.

I'm dealt K6o in the BB. Everyone at the table limps to me. I think that a couple of people from the table next to us may have even limped into the pot. (You gotta love live poker.) I check from the BB.

Flop 662 - two diamonds

SB checks, I check and someone it checks around the whole freaking table.

Turn Kd - Bingo, Bango, Bongo!!!

SB checks. I bet $40 hoping someone will raise me with the flush, the Ad, or air.

One guy in MP calls. It folds to the SB. SB raises it to $100. I think for a while and raise it to $250. MP folds. SB insta-calls.

River is a blank. SB checks. I put him all-in for about $550 more. He thinks and thinks and thinks. He keeps talking out loud trying to put me on the hand. He seems to have convinced himself that I have at least a 6 and probably a full house. He finally makes the call with a Jack high flush!! (You gotta love live poker)

Cash Hand 2
5/10NL - same table. Remember Seat 2 is horrible.

I'm sitting on the button (Seat 6) with around $2,500. Seat 2 has luckboxed (no joke) his way to about a $4,000 stack.

Seat 6 limps. It folds to me. I raise to $50 with AJs. SB folds. BB calls.

Flop A44 - 2 spades. (I don't have spades - obviously)

Seat 2 checks. I bet $90. He min-raises to $180. I call. This guy was prone to making really big raises when he hit a flop. He was playing ATC pf, so a 4 was definitely in his range, but he would have made a bigger raise if he had the 4. He, also, made big raises with flush draws, so I figured that wasn't in his range.

Turn - blank.

He checks. I check for pot control since we are fairly deep and my hand can't stand a big check-raise.

River - blank.

He checks. I am 90% certain that I have the best hand. I value bet $150 and he insta-min-reraises me. Normally, in a live full ring cash game a river check-raise equals the nuts, but against this guy it doesn't mean anything. I call with my top pair, jack kicker and he immediately says, "You win." and mucks his cards. WTF did he think I would fold? A busted flush draw? I had to call $150 into $775 pot.

Cash Hand 3
5/10NL - same table; I wasn't involved in the hand, but shows just how crazy Seat 2 was playing.

Seat 2 - $3,500 +/-
Seat 3 - $1,100
Seat 8 - $2,300 +/-

I think that I was BB (seat 6). Seat 7 folds. Seat 8 raises to $60. Seat 2 re-raises to $800 - no joke. Seat 3 (a very solid player) insta-shoves. Seat 8 thinks for a while and counts his chips then shoves. Seat 2 calls.

Seat 3 - obviously has AA.
Seat 8 - QQ - He figured he was beat by Seat 3, but had about double the chips of Seat 3 and Seat 2 covered him. So not a bad spot to shove based on how idiotic Seat 2 was. Thoughts?
Seat 2 - 88 (You gotta love live poker)

The AA held up for a triple up. QQ broke even or +/-$100 on the hand.

I really didn't want to leave the table, but I had plans to meet Miami Don, CK, Weak_Player, and Bayne for dinner. The guy in Seat 7 and I had been talking about how great the table was for a while. When I mentioned to him that I had to leave to meet some people for dinner, he said, "How well do you know these people? I'm not getting up to eat or use the restroom until Seat 2 leaves." LOL - I really wanted to stay, but eventually left for dinner.

I'm not sure how Seat 2 wound up, but while I was there he went from $1,500 to about $5,500 to $0. Re-bought for $1,500. Back up to $3,000 to $0. He had just re-bought for another $1,500 when I left.

Cash Hand 4 (Sets suck - part 1)
1/2NL at the Venetian with several bloggers - Smokkee, Weak_Player, MiamDon, CK, Astin.

Smokkee had recently left the table to play in a tourney.

Me - Seat 5 ($350 +/-)
WP - Seat 6
Don - Seat 7
CK - Seat 8 ($375 +/-)
Astin - Seat 9

Clearly, I had horrible position at this table, but I made up for that by open raising for 6x every hand with ATC. Correct strategy, right? :)

2 limpers to me. I make my standard raise to $12 with 66. A couple of callers including CK.

Flop J65 - 2 hearts.

I bet $20. CK raises to $60. I decide that she most likely has a set - possibly 2 pair, because I hadn't seen her make a big raise without a big hand. I shove and she calls with JJ.

I don't improve. Set no good - Part 1.

Cash Game Hand 5
1/2 NL Blogger Cash game at Venetian - a couple of hands after the set over set to CK

Me - Seat 5
Seat 4 ($220 +/-) - not a blogger

I make my standard raise with 6d8d and get a couple of callers.

Flop 5x7d9d - Nothing like flopping the nut straight with a straight flush re-draw.

I bet big. Everyone folds. Seat 4 calls.

Turn Ax.

I bet big again. Seat 4 calls again.

Turn - blank.

Seat 4 checks. I put him all-in and he says, "OK, let's see it." as he is calling with A2 - no diamond. I got a good chunk of the $ that I sent to CK back.

Cash Hand 6 (Sets suck - Part 2)
Thoughts on this hand?? Anyone play it different??
2/5NL at the Rio. I sat down at Vinnay's table. It was fairly late and I was playing way too loose. Shortly after sitting at the table, I got a text message from Vinnay that read, "Seat 1 is tricky. Be careful."

Seat 1 - Old guy with a big stack of chips. He had shown the nuts a few times. I, also, saw him shove with a flush draw (or maybe a pair and flush draw) on an earlier hand.
Me - Seat 6 ($600 +/-)
Seat 5 - Not very good. Liked to bluff.

I'm dealt 88 in the BB. I don't remember the exact action. Small raise pf a couple of callers (including Seat 1 and 5) and I call.

Flop is J93 - 2 spades. Checks around or maybe the old man in seat 1 makes a small raise. A little fuzzy.

Turn is an 8 - not a spade.

Seat 5 bets $50. I make it $150. Seat 1 shoves. I make what in hindsight was probably a bad call. I would be interested to hear if anyone folds here. I think that I may have it I hadn't seen him shove earlier with a pair and flush draw. I figured he could have 2 pair, a flush draw with a straight draw, a pair and a flush draw, a set or a straight. I felt like I had to call based on the board and how wide his range could be there.

He had QT for the nuts. I didn't improve.

Cash Hand 7 (Playing Blind against Vinnay)
2/5NL - same game as above

Me - Seat 6 ($400 +/-)
Vinnay - Seat 8 ($400 +/-)

I Mississippi straddled the button. Vinnay made it $40 blind. Folds to me. I call blind.

Flop 883.

Vinnay bet $160 blind. I decided to look and see A6. I figured that I'm ahead of his random hand range and call.

Turn is an overcard and he shoves blind. I call.

Turn is another big card.

I turn over my A6.

Vinnay turns over his first card - 2. I'm looking pretty good to win. Next card an Ace.

Split pot!!! LOL!! We were both glad that we split the pot. I'm think that we should probably just flip a coin next time to save the rake.

Cash Hand 8 (Sets suck - Part 3)
5/10NL at Rio - Late at night playing short handed - 6 or 7 handed.
Me - Seat 8 ($1,800)
Seat 9 ($3,000)
Seat 6 ($1,650ish)

I am dealt 33 in the SB. Seat 6 had been raising pf quite a bit. He makes it $35. I call. Seat 9 (very active since the table has gotten short) raises to $100. Seat 6 calls.

Flop - A36 - 2 spades - Bingo!! Bango!! Bango!!

I check. Seat 9 bets $100. Seat 6 raises to $200. I raise to $500. Seat 9 folds. Seat 6 thinks for a while and calls.

Turn - 10x.

I shove for $1k. Seat 6 thinks for about 5 minutes and calls.

River - 9s :(

Seat 6 had KsJs and hit his flush on the river. (You gotta love live poker) He called $1k on the turn with 12 outs and 1 card to come.

Overall. I finished slightly down in the cash games after getting off to a great start.

I didn't play many tourneys, but will probably post of couple of key tourney hands in another update.

5 responses to "WSOP Trip Review (Part 2 - Cash Hands)"

  1. Nice recap.

    Wow, that last call by the villain with KJs was hilarious. Too bad he got there.

    Shrike

  2. I personally would have stayed in the game and blown us off for dinner; I am honored that you chose to show up and give up any possible cash from seat 2.

    Weak Player

  3. Hey blog owner!

    If you would like to earn a months link on a PR 2 poker site for relatively little effort. Just write a short post about http://www.pokerisrigged.com upcoming poker league with free prizes starting on the 6th of July! For any questions please contact me on the email provided, or talk to me (James) at pokerisrigged.com. If you enjoy playing poker then by placing on the league, you will also get a front page link.

    Look forward to hearing from you,
    James.

    Anonymous

  4. I was just curious. Did you show your AJ in the second hand after the Villain mucked?

    Jordan

  5. I miss those two little lambs that sat down to the right of us all at the Venetian. Such wide-eyed stupidity and naïvité. A2... the K4 was the best though.

    Man, I miss Vegas already.

    Great to meet you! Did I say that already?

    Astin