Poker Ramblings of cmitch

Contact Info:

cmitchpoker@gmail.com

I posted a funny comment that one of my opponents made the other day after I shoved the river with a flopped flush and he paid me off. Posting the comment wasn't a big deal - I didn't think twice about. I just felt like I needed to share the chat, "U play so bad it is tough for me to put u on that."

The player that made that made the comment lives a couple of doors down from Virge (btw - go check out Virge's blog) and he added the following comment on my last post:

"Yea, that's embarrassing. You really do play bad though."


There was even a post on FullTiltForum.com about the comment where both Virge and DirteAA are regular posters.

I started to write a long post on creating long term +EV situations by making short term -EV plays. It started to get way too long and I may make a later post with some specific hand examples. For now, I'll just stick with the idea that some preflop calls OOP may appear -EV, but can be long term +EV if you make them against aggressive opponents that won't lay down a big hand against you.


Below is the hand where the comment was made:

FullTiltPoker Game #3833718758: Table Bardstown (6 max) - $1/$2 - No Limit Hold'em - 15:35:43 ET - 2007/10/12
Seat 1: highprices ($389.80)

Seat 3: doody40 ($93.95)
Seat 4: cmitch ($230)
Seat 5: Pummer ($413.80)
Seat 6: DirteAA ($372.60) (high flop af that drops significantly on turn/river)

cmitch posts the small blind of $1
Pummer posts the big blind of $2
The button is in seat #3

*** HOLE CARDS ***

Dealt to cmitch [Js 8s]
DirteAA raises to $7
highprices folds
doody40 folds
cmitch calls $6 (I can win the pot in a couple of ways. If I hit and he has a big hand, I will get paid off. If I miss and only get a piece of board, I may be able to get him to fold based on his af declining on each street and his high W$atSD. A high W$atSD combined with a high af is usually indicative of an aggressive player that will fold to a lot of turn and river bets. In looking back over the stats, he folds to a river bet 75% of the time.)


Pummer folds
*** FLOP *** [Ts 4s As] - GIN!!!
cmitch checks
DirteAA bets $12
cmitch calls $12

*** TURN *** [Ts 4s As] [Jc]
cmitch checks
DirteAA bets $34 (The bet here says that he may only be a little scared of the flush - maybe something like AxKs or a big hand like two pair or a set.)

cmitch raises to $80
(His turn bet makes me think that he has a hand. I want to build the pot, but not chase him away. He may also shove with a pair and flush draw, two pair, or a set.)


DirteAA has 15 seconds left to act
DirteAA calls $46 (He has a big hand. Please no more spades and don't pair the board.)

*** RIVER *** [Ts 4s As Jc] [3c]

cmitch bets $131, and is all in (I felt like I get the most value out of a shove. From his perspective, there are a lot of hands that I am shoving on the river. Any bet smaller than a shove looks 10 times stronger than a shove IMO. His call of the turn C/R and his past play make it very likely that I will get a call.)


DirteAA calls $131

*** SHOW DOWN ***

cmitch shows [Js 8s] a flush, Ace high
DirteAA shows [Td Th] three of a kind, Tens
cmitch wins the pot ($459) with a flush, Ace high
*** SUMMARY ***

Total pot $462 | Rake $3
Board: [Ts 4s As Jc 3c]
Seat 1: highprices didn't bet (folded)
Seat 3: doody40 (button) didn't bet (folded)
Seat 4: cmitch (small blind) showed [Js 8s] and won ($459) with a flush, Ace high
Seat 5: Pummer (big blind) folded before the Flop
Seat 6: DirteAA showed [Td Th] and lost with three of a kind, Tens

OK - fire away. I don't play this hand this way in every situation, but I think that it was the right way to play it against this player at this particular moment in time.


-------------------
This week was a roller coaster thanks to some back to back to back brutal beats. (I'm trying to stay away from bad beat posts, so I'll spare everyone the details.) This week's graph clearly shows why it is a good idea to play on a deep bankroll. I didn't get in as many hands as I wanted and wound up finishing up around $600 after being in the red for a while.



UGLY GRAPH OF THE WEEK


GRAPH SINCE STARTED PLAYING ONLY 1/2NL (End of September)

6 responses to "The Internet is Funny & Roller Coaster Week"

  1. I actually love posts like these. Very interesting thought process.

    Alan aka RecessRampage

  2. "Any bet smaller than a shove looks 10 times stronger than a shove IMO."

    Agreed.

    TripJax

  3. One more...

    "I'm a pretty big deal at 200NL...in case you didn't know."

    He says he was joking, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, but it still made me think of Anchorman...

    "Ron Burgundy: I don't know how to put this but I'm kind of a big deal.
    Veronica Corningstone: Really.
    Ron Burgundy: People know me.
    Veronica Corningstone: Well, I'm very happy for you.
    Ron Burgundy: I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany."

    Classic.

    TripJax

  4. You're right TripJax. I don't think that I had enough coffee before reading his post this morning and missed the Anchorman reference.

    Replace leather-bound books with "poker books" and you've got it.

    cmitch

  5. i agree w/ alan. great post. this may be silly question but where do you get graphs from? i have tried playing around on pokertracker and can't find anything that looks like that! thanks!

    lj

  6. The graphing program is available at overcards.com. Click Downloads then poker grapher.

    cmitch